Please look below for frequently asked questions about our courses for early childhood educators and parents, scholarships, the Pre-K classroom, our AmeriCorps program, and other services we offer.


Can I take classes at Ready to Learn Providence?

Depending on funding sources, some of our classes are open to everyone and others are not.   When classes are available, they will be posted on the Professional Development Page of our website, and we will advertise them on facebook.

Do you charge for your courses?

To date, our funding sources have allowed us to offer all our courses at no charge to participants.

Can you help me pursue a college degree in early childhood education?

Yes. Our Teach Early Childhood RI program provides scholarships to early-care teachers and providers who wish to pursue ECE degrees or coursework at Community College of RI or a bachelor’s degree at Rhode Island College.

Do you offer training specifically for home child-care providers?

Most of our courses benefit both home child-care providers and center-based educators, but we do have several programs tailored specifically for the home provider. Most of our courses are offered in both English and Spanish.

Can you help my early childhood program improve its BrightStars rating?

Yes, we help both centers and home-care programs with their BrightStars applications and quality improvement assessments. For information on these services, centers should contact Leslie Gell and family child care providers should contact Tania Quezada by phone at 401.490.9960, or by email (lgell@rwu.edu or tquezada@rwu.edu).

Does Ready to Learn work directly with young children?

We have direct contact with children in our Pre-kindergarten Classrooms, located on the Providence campus of CCRI and at the Heritage Park YMCA. The lion’s share of our work, however, focuses on the professional development and training of early childhood educators and the parents of young children.

How can I get my child into your Pre-kindergarten Classrooms?

Our Pre-K Classrooms are funded by the state on an annual basis. To apply for the R2LP classroom at CCRI (Liston Campus), your child must be a resident of Providence. To apply for the Pre-K classrooms we operate with and at the Heritage Park YMCA Early Learning Center, your child must be a resident of Pawtucket. He or she must turn 4 by September 1. The R.I. Department of Education (RIDE) holds a lottery for the Pre-K sites in the late spring. Applications for the lottery will be available on this website, at the R2LP offices and on the RIDE website.

Can a parent take a course at Ready to Learn?

Recent funding and a partnership with the Providence Schools is letting us bring Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills to some 2,000 Providence family members. We also train parents in The Incredible Years, a program that reduces challenging behaviors in children and increases their social skills, as often as funding allows.